If your Mom and Dad are strong enough for physical activity, have you thought about encouraging them to start dancing? It's not only fun for people of all ages, it has real benefits for seniors. Here are a few of them you can tell your parents about.
- While the body is working, the brain is working as well. In fact, dancing is one of the leisure activities "associated with a reduced risk of dementia" in a study involving participants over the age of 75.
- Like walking, low-impact dancing, can help with pain and stiffness. So if your loved ones suffer with arthritis, this is a great way to reduce symptoms.
- It can help to alleviate symptoms of depression. Whether it's the great music or the body movements, dancing can be a significant mood booster.
- With consistency in staying active, balance and strength will increase. This can help Mom and Dad to become more confident and independent in carrying out daily tasks.
- It's good for cardiovascular health. Even among those with chronic heart failure, waltz dancing was shown to be "safe and able to improve functional capacity".
Be sure they check with their doctors before they start any physical activity, even if it is as fun as dancing. But once they get the approval, enjoy grooving with them. It's never too early for you to start reaping the benefits as well.
At Caring Senior Service, our expert staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and trusted professionals who take pride in helping your loved one manage their daily activities. Contact us today to learn more!